Tuesday, November 9, 2010

POTATOES MAKE ME FLUFFY

OK, so I said it. Now I'm going to out myself. I'm a closet (and sneaky) potato eater. Whenever I eat potatoes my body fluffs. I try not to eat them but I LOVE POTATOES. When I go to a restaurant and I have a choice between fries or salad I choose the salad BUT...I get really excited when the person next to me orders fries. I'm great at the distract and snatch technique. When I go to a party and chips are served I graze on the chips all night. Sometimes if I'm lucky the hostess (usually my skinny sister or my Mom) decides that she does not want leftover chips at home so she will send me  home with a Lexi bag. I usually play the game and say "oh thank you but I don't usually eat chips"...and then with a slight of hand they just end up in my bag. I go home and quietly munch myself into chip euphoria.

 Mashed potatoes are a major fluffer. I stay far away from them. Potato skins don't seem to be too bad because most of the fluff has been removed. But I still fluff a little after eating them, it must be the cheese, bacon and Ranch Dip that does it.

If I do decide to buy a potato I will buy just one. I figure that Ron and I can split one for dinner and that should have a minimal fluff effect.

I know potatoes are really fattening. In writing this post I did what most good journalists do...I mean beginning bloggers do...... and I did a fact check on potatoes. OMG! I discovered that potatoes are one of the greatest nutritional values in the produce departments. At 25 cents per serving, a medium potato (5.3oz) eaten with its skin on has just 110 calories. It has 1/2 your daily value of vitamin C and one of the best sources of potassium. AH-MAZING.

So, where am I going with this ramble? My husband does not have my problem. When he goes to the store I am sure he looks at one potato for 25 cents or.....

10 LBS. for 79 cents! I can't believe it, even the bag says It's "OK."

Ron said he wanted to make dinner tonight so I suggested he use potatoes...ya think? He baked about 6 potatoes until they were slightly firm and them he sliced them into 1/2 inch slices. He melted about 1/2 stick of butter in a cast iron skillet, layered the potatoes with cheese, salt, pepper, garlic salt and a sprinkling of herbes de provence. Then he returned it to the oven and baked it for 20 minutes and then topped it with cooked bacon pieces and a couple of eggs. He cooked it until the eggs were set and then served it. It was really good.
Looks like there was some parsley on top too.

Plated with a nice green salad. The man is awesome.

2 comments:

Lorraine Davis said...

what do you mean when you say makes me fluff?

Lexi said...

Well, it sounded better than puffy. It's all the salt I add. The next day my shoes don't fit, my rings don't fit, and my pants won't zip. Ron calls it water retention :)