Thursday, November 11, 2010

GRILLED FLAT IRON STEAK

I have never been a big fan of flank steak. Once in a while I would find a good sounding marinade for flank steak and grill it and then remind myself not to do it again.

I have had some good grilled flat iron steaks in restaurants but never noticed this cut in the grocery store. One day my friend Sharon saw one and tried it. She told me it was great so I dashed over to the store to find one.


I marinated it overnight and then we grilled it.  This is one tasty cut of meat.
Charred on the outside......
But rare on the inside. We like our meat really rare so you could cook it a little longer but PLEASE do not cook this beyond medium rare. It would be sacrilegious.
Yum! My favorite way to cook the Sweet Potato you see in the photo will be in another post.


GRILLED FLAT IRON STEAK

1 Flat Iron Steak
4 large shallots, finely chopped
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce

Season the steak with a generous sprinkling of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Place the steak in a resealable plastic bag. Combine the shallots, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce in a mixing bowl. Pour the marinade into the bag and toss everything around to coat the steak evenly.

Marinate the steak for at least 2 hours but overnight is better.

Grill the steak 5-7 minutes for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice at a 45 degree angle, across the grain, into thin slices and serve.

Beef heaven...where I want to end up.

No comments: