Tuesday, January 24, 2012

VEGETARIAN TACOS


I'm a carnivore. I LOVE meat...any kind, any time. I decided to try eating less meat this year. I know this will be hard for me but I think I can find some recipes where you will not even notice that meat is missing. Like this taco. These were so good and Ron gave it a two thumbs up. I must add that all the ingredients in the recipe must be used or it will not be good. I mean that. The taco filling was not so good on it's own but when combined with a delicious salsa and topped with avocado this taco will rival any beef taco in town. I found some really good tortillas that I topped with cheese and warmed in the oven.


These are my favorite tortillas from Trader Joe's.


I topped the tortillas with cheese and put them in a 200~oven until the cheese melted, about 5-10 minutes. If you take them out as soon as the cheese melts they will stay soft and really tasty. Watch them carefully, you don't want to toast them.


VEGETARIAN TACOS
1 tsp. chipotle powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3 tsp. fresh lime juice
1 package firm tofu
12 corn tortillas
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
Chopped cilantro
Your favorite salsa
Sliced avocado
Shredded cheese

Put the chipotle powder, cumin, and lime juice in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Add the tofu and mash with a fork until crumbled and coated with marinade.

Heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onions and garlic until onions are soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the black beans and corn and cook until heated through and thickened, 5-10 minutes. Add the tofu mixture to the beans and corn and stir until liquid has reduce about 5 minutes.

Lay the tortillas on a baking sheet and sprinkle tortillas with shredded cheese. Put in a 200~ oven until the cheese has melted.

Spoon bean mixture into corn tortilla, top with chopped cilantro, sliced avocado and salsa.









No comments: