Thursday, March 24, 2011

FRENCH ONION SOUP




 French onion soup with an Irish twist? You bet, and this is really good.

I don't know about you, but what I do know about me is that I cook a Corned Beef once or twice a year because:

1. It's St. Patrick's Day and Corned Beef and Cabbage is traditional ( at least in the U.S.)

2. It goes on sale in March for 99 cents a pound. I usually buy two, one goes in the freezer.

3. My REAL reason...Reuben sandwiches.

Not any more..... Check out my Corned Beef in the crock pot recipe. The broth that was left over was awesome. It made the best onion soup. All I did to the broth was to remove any leftover carrots and add some fresh thyme leaves.

Warmed the soup, toasted some French bread, topped the soup with the bread and put some grated Gruyere cheese on top. Broil until brown.  The broth had Guinness Extra Stout Beer in it and the Corned Beef spices along with Creole mustard gave it just the right tang and crunch.

Thanks O'Ronald for the idea :)

We had 3 great meals from one Corned Beef.

Tomorrow night....THE REUBEN!!




No comments: