Want to WOW both vegetarians and carnivores alike? Give this dish a whirl. Cauliflower, potato and shallots are roasted until tender and brown. With a quick pulse in the food processor they become soft and fluffy. Add some cheese, egg and spices, coat with Panko and Parmesan and bake in the oven until brown and crispy. Serve on a bed of arugula and tomato and top each cake with a lively sauce of sour cream, chives, parsley and garlic. Want a party in your mouth? Take a little bit of everything in one bite!
CRISPY CAULIFLOWER CAKES WITH HERB SAUCE AND ARUGULA SALAD
- 12 ounces cauliflower florets
- 1 (10-ounce) peeled baking potato, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 large shallots, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise (such as Hellmann's)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. To prepare cakes, place cauliflower, potato, and shallots on a baking sheet. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over vegetables; toss. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Place cauliflower mixture in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until chopped. Scrape mixture into a bowl. Add fontina, thyme, salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and egg, stirring well.
3. Combine Panko and Parmigiano-Reggiano in a shallow dish. Using wet hands, shape cauliflower mixture into 8 (1-inch-thick) patties; dredge in Panko mixture. Place patties on baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until browned, turning once.
4. To prepare sauce, combine sour cream and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl.
5. To prepare salad, combine arugula, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons oil, and juice; toss well to coat. Place 1 cup arugula mixture on each of 4 plates; top with 2 cakes and 1 tablespoon herb sauce.
*To toast panko, place in a large skillet, and cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.
Recipe from Cooking Light