Monday, April 8, 2013

VEGETABLE FAJITAS


It's Food Matters Monday! This week Margarita of Let's Cook and Be Friends chose Mark Bittman's recipe for Not Your Usual Steak Fajitas. Mark's recipe calls for beef or chicken and lots of vegetables. After a quick stir fry the ingredients are topped with a tequila-lime glaze. He suggests serving it with warm tortillas or over brown rice. 

I was really looking forward to this recipe as I LOVE Mexican food. I'm not sure why but I had no energy all weekend. I didn't want to cook anything. I thought that maybe I would make this tomorrow and then I remembered the grilled vegetable bar at Whole Foods. And the cooked brown rice. And the guacamole....And I live 10 minutes away! I picked up a nice assortment of smoky grilled veggies. Carrots, chile peppers, pineapple, zucchini, onions, portabellos, pineapple, cooked brown rice and a scoop of guacamole. When I got home I sliced the veggies a little smaller and then put the pineapple in a pan with lime juice and tequila. When it reduced to a glaze I added the rest of the vegetables and warmed it all up. How easy is that? I did miss the beef but I needed a veggie meal after my not so healthy eating binge all weekend.

Great pick Margarita!

For the original recipe go to Margarita's blog here. For all the other FMP members take on this recipe click here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slacker ;) Just teasing. I love that you got inventive about this. It shows how you can eat really healthily on the fly with some store-bought ingredients and a quick homemade sauce. A lot of busy cooks can appreciate that!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed- pretty sure I wouldn't have thought to pick up veggies at Whole Foods. Sounds like it was delicious, so I'm glad you thought ahead!

Unknown said...

yes! way to improvise and make a homecooked meal out of takeout food! hope you feel better and thanks for giving this a try even though you were under the weather.

Lexi said...

Well Aura..it came down to being a slacker or a total flake:) I may be hitting that veggie bar more often. It was so tasty!

Lexi said...

Well...Evi, they also cook for you and I almost asked them to cook my steak! Most of the flavor was in the sauce so this worked out really well!

Lexi said...

Thanks Margie! I loved the tequilla-lime sauce. I'm glad I was able to almost make this dish.