Tuesday, October 16, 2012

SLOW COOKER HAWAIIAN MEATBALLS


Call me Sandra Lee. Who? She's on the Food Network with a show called semi-homemade. She does a little cooking herself and has help with pre-made ingredients. 

I had BAD jet lag a couple of days ago. I didn't want to go anywhere. I had been gone for almost two weeks and hubby stayed home. Did a quick inventory of the fridge. Not much in there...cheese, bread, BEER, 1/2 pineapple. I don't know how he survived without me :) I thought about a recipe I had saved. Frozen meatballs (that's the Sandra Lee part) pineapple and bell pepper. I had the meatballs in the freezer, bell peppers still growing in the garden and that 1/2 pineapple in the fridge. So I put the ingredients in the slow cooker for 4 hours and it was really good! Served it over rice. Yum! I'll make this again soon.


SLOW COOKER HAWAIIAN MEATBALLS

32 oz. package of precooked, frozen meatballs. ( I used Trader Joe's)
13.5 oz. can of unsweetened pineapple chunks (I used fresh and a small can of pineapple juice)
1 large green pepper, diced (I used what was in the garden, a yellow one but red or green would look better)
1 cup of brown sugar
2 TBSP. cornstarch
2/3 cup of white vinegar
2 TBSP. soy sauce

Place meatballs in slow cooker and top with green pepper and drained pineapple chunks. In a separate bowl, mix reserved pineapple juice, brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and soy sauce. Pour sauce over meatballs, pineapple and green peppers. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through

Serve over rice. 

No comments: