Sunday, May 27, 2012

LEMON BASIL PESTO


There was something different about the basil at the Farmer's Market this week. It drew a crowd. Everyone was grabbing a bunch and smelling it. It was lemon basil. You could actually smell the lemon scent from a few feet away. I've used lemon basil before but it always had a subtle lemon smell and flavor. This was vibrant. I bought a couple of bunches and knew I had to make pesto. This was so delicious I was eating it by the spoonful.


LEMON BASIL PESTO

2 cups packed fresh basil leaves (I used lemon basil)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese

Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the olive oil and process until fully incorporated and to the consistency you like. Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in the cheese.


I spread the pesto on a piece of Scottish salmon and baked in the oven at 375~ for 20 minutes.

 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it smell wonderful? I bought a plant and have it in my garden.I am just not having any luck with basil in my garden though... I fear it may not survive it LOL

Lexi said...

Hi Jen, I love it! I only have regular basil and thai basil planted but I think I will put in some lemon as well.