Sunday, February 5, 2012

TATSOI


I was perusing the Asian stand at the Farmer's Market looking for some baby bok choy when I spotted this interesting and beautiful looking plant. I asked the man behind the table what is was and with a grin from ear to ear he said "tatsoi". I asked him how you cook it and he answered "tatsoi". I asked him if I could cook it like bok choy and he said " tatsoi"..... He looked so proud, and his smile said it all. In a foodie world sometimes that's all you  need.


I came home with a bag full.

After a quick google search  I learned that tatsoi is a member of the brassica family that includes broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collards, and kale. Tatsoi is also called spinach mustard, spoon mustard or rosette bok choy. Apparently it is most often eaten in salads, and often added to soups. I decided to treat it like spinach and gave it 2 minutes in boiling salted water and then a quick saute in melted butter. We added some fresh peas from the garden to the saute and it was wonderful.

Next time you see tatsoi give it a try.




No comments: