Sunday, April 10, 2011

CHILI CORNBREAD PIE


My friend Bart sent me this recipe to try. It was really good and so versatile. You could do almost anything thing with this basic recipe to make it your own. Add some cheese or some onions or garlic. I liked the meat mixture so much that I was full before I put the topping on and put it in the oven. The meat mixture would work really well for tacos or tostadas.

I used Trader Joe's corn bread mix. It was a little sweet for me but I think Jiffy brand might be less sweet and I'll use that next time.

Thanks Bart for sending me the recipe!


                                                      CHILI CORNBREAD PIE

1 lb. ground turkey or lean ground beef
1 packet (4 oz.) chili seasoning or taco seasoning mix (I used spicy taco seasoning)
2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
1 can (15 1/4 oz.) no salt added, whole kernel corn, drained ( I used Trade Joe's Fire Roasted Corn)
1 can (15oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (12 oz.) Nestle Carnation evaporated milk, divided in half
1 can (4 oz.) green chilies, drained (optional)
2 boxes (8.5 oz. each) dry corn muffin mix
2 large eggs
Sliced avocado, salsa and/or sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 400~. Grease a 13x9" baking dish.

Cook turkey in large skillet over medium high heat until turkey is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili seasoning, tomato sauce, corn, beans, evaporated milk and chilies. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into prepared baking dish.

Combine corn muffin mix, remaining 3/4 cup reserved evaporated milk and eggs in a medium bowl.; stir until just moistened. Spread mixture over meat filling.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with chopped avocado, sour cream and salsa.

Serves 10-12

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not having all the ingredients and being lazy and not wanting to go to the store, I changed this recipe into a yummy meatloaf. It was a meal in one dish. If my pictures are decent I'll send them to you.

Lexi said...

Glad you tried it. It is one of those recipes that you can add whatever you want and make it your own. Bart's recipe for Mexican Corn Bread is even better but not as healthy. Send me some pictures!