Friday, November 26, 2010

MOLE

 I decided to make mole  last week. First I googled mole and yikes....all you fellow followers try it. You get 4 pics of a most disgusting looking rodent and then a very unattractive pic of a man with an unsightly mole on his face. This almost curbed my appetite. But wait.... OH WOW..... there is a National Mole Day. I read on....Mole Day commemorates Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 10^23), which is a basic measuring unit in chemistry. HUH WHAT??? I bet Ron knows this and understands it too...scary. So, I tried googling Mexican Chicken Mole and I found a cart load of recipes. Some complicated and some not so much. I usually try to be very authentic with my recipes but for some reason a Tyler Florence recipe for Chicken Mole Poblano caught my eye. The reviews were good although there were some comments that said it was not the real deal. I liked the fact that the prep time was only 25 minutes and along with cooking time this dish could be on the table in 55 minutes. I'm not sure what happened but I started making this at 1:00 in the afternoon and it was ready to serve at 7:00pm. That's 6 hours!!!  Well, after thinking about my afternoon I figured out how this happened.

No big deal. I can listen to her while I cook. I do this quite often. BUT THEN.....

OMG! This is my all time favorite OPRAH show to watch. Gotta see it, gotta have it, gotta see it again....rewind...rewind again...pause...write it down...run to the computer to see where to buy it, push play and repeat. I know, I'm a sick puppy. This was why it took so long but hey, I had a blast. I'm not going to post the recipe because it was just OK. Not authentic but still good. Mole is a party in your mouth, layers of flavor,lots of fun. This was good but not great. I would say that if I had never had the real deal I would love this dish. I'm going to master mole some day. I just put it on my bucket list along with all of OPRAH'S favorite things.



No comments: